Thursday, August 12, 2010

Campfire Eclairs

My family has been doing a lot of camping the last little while. A few weeks ago we went with some of our neighbors and they introduced us to our new favorite camping treat...campfire eclairs.

To make eclairs over a campfire you're going to need:
  • some 1.5 inch wooden dowels
  • Pam nonstick spray
  • Pillsbury (or whatever brand) crescent rolls in the pop tubes
  • Vanilla Pudding (we use the 4-pack kind you send in the kids lunches)
  • Chocolate frosting (again use the tub kind. We're camping we go for easy!)
  • Canned Whipped Cream
  • fire that has burned down to coals that are good for roasting things.
To start take your wooden dowel and spray it liberally with the non-stick spray. (If this is the first time using the dowel to roast eclairs REALLY really spray it. It get's "seasoned" the more you use it.)

Then take one of the crescent rolls and wrap it around the end of the dowel. Make sure that you pinch the edges tight so it doesn't unroll while you cook it. Then cook the roll over the fire until it's golden brown and delicious. It takes a couple of minutes depending how hot your coals are.When it's cooked slide it off the end (and let someone else use your stick.) Fill the crescent pocket with pudding and whipped cream. Frost the side with the chocolate frosting. And then enjoy!I'm not sure why everything tastes better when it's cooked outdoors, but I think I could have one of these every night! So if you go camping and try these out let me know if you liked them as much as we did!

8 comments:

Mindy said...

I love eclairs! My hubby thinks s'mores are "too messy" though, so I don't know what he'd think of this. ;)

girlsmama said...

Ohhh! Those look yummy. We'll have to try them...

Valerie said...

Oh, these look so good! We just got back from a camping trip, wish I'd had these to try.

Sheila C. said...

oh, they were delicious!!!!! Thanks for introducing them to us.

Annalee Kelly said...

We have a firepit in our backyard, so I'm totally trying this asap! And yes, let's do Cafe Rio when the wee ones get into school, eh???

The Rustic Chick said...

I love camping...and that is such a great new idea to try! We love trying new stuff over the campfire! Thanks!

Mindy said...

Hey, we went camping and tried these! My 12 year old son absolutely loved them, my perfectionist 14 year old daughter couldn't get over that her biscuit wasn't perfect. They were pretty darn good... thanks for the idea!

mommymelb said...

I'm glad you liked them Mindy! I have a hard time when my biscuit isn't perfect too...so I start out by roasting ones for the kids and then I have the hang of it and mine get's as close to perfect as it can! :)